After a hard day of work, I take a long bath with Foaming Salt Soak in my favorite scent of the week. Holiday Memories is this week’s choice. This totally relaxes me, soothing my mind, body, and soul.
After my bath, I’ll slip into my fuzzy PJ’s, grab some creme brulee, coffee with homemade amaretto, and a great book. Then is it time to curl up on the couch and have some “me time”.
In today’s world we all wear many hats, our jobs are never done, and we usually neglect ourselves. My philosophy is, “If I can’t make myself happy for an hour or two, how can I possibly know how to make others happy”.
So with that said, I’m keeping this short. I’m sharing my two favorite recipes with you, but if you have something else in mind…go get it! Now it’s YOUR TURN to go ahead and make creme brulee and amaretto, go dig out that book you’ve been meaning to read, and have some “me time”.
Be Sexy, Be Beautiful, Get Touch’d!
2 1/2 cups half and half or 2 cups heavy cream
2/3 cup milk
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 whole eggs
3 egg yolks
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 cup sugar in the raw
small blow torch (this you may need to raid the hubby's tools) or you can purchase a kitchen/cooking torch for around $20.00
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
2. Heat half and half, milk, and sugar in a heavy saucepan to almost boiling on medium heat.
3. In a separate bowl, beat whole eggs and extra yolks together well
4.Gradually whisk the heated mixture into the eggs, then return mixture to the saucepan. Cook over moderate heat; stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the custard coats the back of the spoon, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla.
5. Pour custard into individual custard dishes (6) or into one shallow baking dish, about 9 inches in diameter ( I also use a 5X7 glass baking dish)
6. Set dish or dishes in an oven pan filled with water that is level with the custard. TIP: Start with a small amount of water in the pan as not to have it overflow when you place the smaller dish in it
7. Bake at 325 degrees F for 45-50 minutes, until center of custard is set. When done, remove custard from water bath. Cool. Cover and chill.
8. Just before serving, sprinkle raw sugar covering the top of the custard. Start your torch (VERY CAREFULLY USE THIS) and melt sugar until golden brown.
NOTE: If you have never used a kitchen or small torch, please ask for help.
NEVER touch or place your hands on or near the tip. Do not start your torch
near flammable materials or cabinets.
Garnish with oranges, raspberries, or fruit of your choice
3 3/4 cups of water
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup sugar
1 oz. almond extract
Combine water and sugars. Boil at a low simmering boil for 20 minutes (no longer).
Let cool, add vodka and almond extract. Drink and enjoy.
This also makes great gifts. I bought fancy bottles with corks at Pier 1 ($4-$6), filled with amaretto, made a homemade gift tag, punched a hole in the gift tag, looped raffia through hole and tied around bottle. This was a huge hit!!
Thanks to aunt Paula for this one!
Feel Sexy, Feel Beautiful, Get Touchd!